|“||I’ve protected it. You told me… this is more important to you… than your own life.||”|
— Zenitsu Agatsuma to Tanjiro Kamado, Chapter 25
Zenitsu Agatsuma (我 (あが) 妻 (つま) 善 (ぜん) 逸 (いつ) Agatsuma Zen’itsu?) is a Demon Slayer and member of the Demon Slayer Corps. He is a traveling companion of Tanjiro Kamado and one of the main protagonists of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba.
Zenitsu is a young man with fair skin and downward-sloped, scared-looking eyes that fade from soft brown to gold. He has short, yellow hair of varying lengths, cutting off squarely at the ends where it fades to a darker orange color, that falls in front of his face in uneven bangs. Before he became a Demon Slayer, Zenitsu’s hair was originally black, but it turned the color it is currently when he was struck by lightning during his training.
For some time following the battle at Natagumo Mountain, his limbs were temporarily shrunk due to Demonic poison but were able to return to normal afterward thanks to the medicine given to him by Shinobu Kocho.
He wears a paler brown version of the standard Demon Slayer uniform, which consists of a dark brown gakuran jacket, a white belt around his waist and hakama pants that extend, as well as his signature white-triangle patterned, yellow and orange gradient haori. As well as this, Zenitsu also sports a pair of tabi socks, tied at the front in 3 white bows, with the same pattern as his haori, and white-laced footwear.
Zenitsu is a coward; always claiming he doesn’t have long to live due to the dangerous job of being a Demon Slayer. He also has rather low self-esteem despite his strength, to the point that he thinks he’s useless, as seen when he couldn’t believe he’d slain a Demon that he had, tricking himself into instead believing that it was Shoichi even though the latter was a young child who didn’t possess any form of special Demon-slaying ability. Zenitsu is in a constant state of fear and always cries and tries to run away at the sight of danger, claiming he wants to live a modest, normal life, instead of that of a Demon Slayer.
However, despite these weaknesses, Zenitsu still wants to live up to the expectations others set up for him and will try his hardest when he is needed to. He holds great respect and admiration towards his comrades and his deceased teacher, Jigoro Kuwajima, and his inner focus and drive in avenging him always help to wash away his cowardice and second thoughts when he’s in a pinch.
Zenitsu is also shown to be something of a wannabe womanizer, stemming from a desire to not be single should he be killed; he tends to hit on girls who he thinks are cute and ask them to marry him, much to their annoyance. This womanizing nature is shown to override his docile personality, in particular when he believes his comrades are “flirting” with cute girls, he soon snaps and goes in long hysterical rants and complaints. During these times he’s also shown to become physically aggressive, lashing out at them in frustration.
Before the raid on the Infinity Castle, Zenitsu gives off a different, more serious vibe as if he is focused on something important, after receiving a letter from Chuntaro. During his fight against Kaigaku, Zenitsu is stern and becomes enraged, causing him to angrily yell at Kaigaku for disrespecting their cultivator. His sudden change surprises his ex-senior, as Zenitsu shows a more mature persona compared to his usual cowardice.
Abilities and Powers
Enhanced Sense of Hearing: Zenitsu has a heightened sense of hearing, allowing him to detect danger from even the faintest of sounds. He is also able to hear the inner thoughts of people if he uses the sense of hearing to its fullest potential, and he can also use this ability to aid him in locating Demons by comparing the sounds produced by a Demons’ body to those produced by a human.
Unconscious Combat: Zenitsu becomes stronger when he sleeps. When his life is in danger, the fear he experiences exceeds his limits and makes him fall unconscious, which is when he reaches his true potential; when Zenitsu is asleep, he can perform his swordsmanship at a high level based purely on instinct alone. However, as the story goes on, he continues to improve his skills and courage and depends on this ability less and less, beginning to showcase the same skill and ability when conscious.
Reflexes: Zenitsu’s reflexes are always superb, but his cowardly nature usually prevents him from using them to their full potential.
Thunder Breathing (雷 (かみなり) の呼 (こ) 吸 (きゅう) Kaminari no kokyū?): Taught to him by the former Thunder Hashira, Jigoro Kuwajima. This technique increases his strength and agility to equal a Demon. There are six forms, but Zenitsu could only learn the first form said to be the basis for the others yet he honed it to where he could fight against several strong demons. He later created a seventh form and defeated his former senior who had become the Upper Rank 6 of the Twelve Kizuki.
- First Form: Thunderclap and Flash (壱 (いち) ノ型 (かた) 霹 (へき) 靂 (れき) 一 (いっ) 閃 (せん) Ichi no kata: Hekireki Issen?) – The user dashes forward and slashes at their opponent with incredible speed.
- Zenitsu has honed this ability to the extent of being able to repeat the dash multiple times in quick succession. He usually goes for Six Fold (六 (ろく) 連 (れん) Rokuren?) (six dashes) but has been able to use Eight Fold (八 (はち) 連 (れん) Hachiren?) to dash eight times within one use of the technique.
- God Speed (神 (しん) 速 (そく) Shinsoku?) – Zenitsu can utilize this technique to augment the speed of his Thunder Clap Flash further. He is only able to use this ability twice a day. After the second time, his legs become useless. During the final battle against Muzan, Zenitsu is able to use God Speed more than two times.
- Seventh Form: Honoikazuchi Nokami (漆 (しち) ノ型 (かた) 火 (ほの) 雷 (いかづちの) 神 (かみ) Shichi no kata: Honoikazuchi no kami?)  – This is the seventh form that Zenitsu created himself. The user creates a dragon-like creature emitting fire and thunder. This form alongside God Speed allows Zenitsu to move extremely fast, allowing him to defeat Upper Rank 6, Kaigaku. Before Kaigaku died, Zenitsu confessed that this form was unique to himself and that he had created it in hopes of fighting alongside him as an equal.
- Zenitsu’s surname means “my wife” (我妻 agatsuma?), while his given name means “goodness” (善逸 zen’itsu?).
- Zenitsu was ranked in 2nd place as of the first character popularity poll with 4,299 votes.
- Thanks to his hearing, Zenitsu is very skilled at playing the shamisen and the koto.
- Zenitsu is the only non-Hashira Demon Slayer to have done feats only specific Hashira have done:
- Create a new, original form in a Breathing Style with multiple users (done by Giyu Tomioka).
- Defeat an Upper Rank by himself and was in a near-critical state afterward (done by Muichiro Tokito).
- Zenitsu has an overbite.
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) “So you were carrying such a cute girl with you… You were carrying such a cute girl with you every single day… and going about your journey with such joy… Give me back the blood I bled for you!!!”
- (To Jigoro Kuwajima) “But I love you, Gramps!”
- (To Nezuko Kamado) “I will protect you, Nezuko.”
- (To Kaigaku) “Grandfather wasn’t senile. If I’m scum, then you’re trash. I can only do the First Form and you can do everything except that! I feel sorry for grandpa for having such pathetic successors.”
- (To Kaigaku) “No, Gramps was never like that. This is my own Style. The Style I created myself. I wanted to fight alongside you using this one day.”
- (To Tanjiro Kamado) “Tanjiro, just think about staying alive! Can you hear me? You’re not gonna die! You are not gonna die! You’re going home with Nezuko-chan! With a Nezuko-chan who has become human again! You’re both going home to the house you were born and raised in! Your whole family’s waiting for you two to return!”